From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 12:04:10 -0700
On Mon, 9 May 2005 12:10:30 -0500, Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>5. Dr. Barry Sears ("The Zone") -- Good science, good recommendations for athletes.
>Problem is the "zone" doesn't actually exist, or rather it's open on one side.
>The body CAN thrive on zero carbohydrates.  And he seems to ignore the negative health impact of grains and dairy.

Different diet plans are formulated for different reasons, and thus have
different methodology.

As you mention, the Zone is based primarily on scientific evidence, and frankly
there is still very little scientific evidence about the health impact of
species of plant foods, and the milk of other species.   Different people seem
to have different reactions (in my case, I went dairy-free for more than a month
and noted no health improvements -- whereas eating unsprouted grains has an
easily discernible negative effect on my well being.)

Also, it's worth noting that the nutrient ratios of the Zone are based on
athletic performance data, and not other considerations.

So, you are comparing apples and oranges.

And, frankly, the compulsion to "rank" things seems likely to have arisen only
in the last 10,000 years or so...

--
Cheers,

Ken