From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:30:27 -0800
>In my opinion, it indicates some degree of insulin resistance.  There is another consideration, however.  If >your fasting blood glucose (FBG) is measured in the morning, it may be higher than at other times.  This
>phenomenon, experienced by many, is called the "morning spike" (Well, men sometimes use this >expression to refer to something else), and it appears to be a result of the body releasing stored glucose >at around dawn.  Arguably (although I haven't seen it argued), this is a natural phenomenon whereby >your body prepares for the activities of the day.  I have learned that my later afternoon FBG is always >lower than my morning FBG, and in fact my lowest readings, in the low 80s, have been in the
>afternoon.  I've found that doing some short duration high-intensity exercise, such as a set of pushups to >failure (about 35 reps these days), will push the morning FBG up to 120.  This makes sense, I think,
>since I guess my metabolism reads this exercise as a sign that I'm about to do something violent, and tries >to give me the needed fuel.

Well, in looking back over my lab results, I have a fasting glucose ranging anywhere from 90 – 102 and a non-fasting ranging from 94 – 107. The fasting one was taken around 8 AM after I had been up for about 3 hours and did a 1-hour weight work out around 6 AM.

I have read about the reduced calorie issue but I wonder how low is too low? I don’t want to my metabolism to slow down anymore than it already has. The zero or near zero carb approach used to work for me but currently nothing seems to be working. I seem to be loosing muscle and gaining fat despite no change in my diet or work out. Actually, the only slight difference in my diet is that I occasionally will eat one or two SLICES of an apple after a meal. But I don’t do this every day. My doctor did find that I have mercury toxicity (or poisoning??) and indicated that just about all the symptoms I am complaining of could be as a result of that. I have an appt. to go see him this week and find out more detail.

>There is evidence that the reason why fairly severe caloric restriction slows or reverses the aging process is >because it reduces fasting insulin.  We've discussed this on here before.  In my view, the reduction of >carbs, and elimination of refined carbs, is a very large first step toward reducing fasting insulin, but it's not >the whole story.  Total caloric intake may not be the whole story either, so I find myself thinking more and >more about size and timing of meals, and duration of fasting intervals between them.

As for my meals, I eat 6 to 7 small meals per day, each containing of about 4 to 6 oz of protein, typically some coconut oil, and veggies with at least two of those meals. The thing is I LOVE protein and almost crave it and I could eat a lot more than 4 to 6 oz per meal.

~Kristina