ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:36:01 -0700
Brad,

They are very unorganized and very traditional about keeping busy for Jesus.
The preaching is great, when the pastor is there, which is only about half
the time because the headquarters in New York City are always having him
travel and go places with them.  His leading of worship and keyboard playing
is wonderful.  It is considerably less so when he is gone.  The homes are
very unorganized and there seems to be no accountability with the upper
levels of leadership.  The philosophy, if I may call it that, is to walk
into the home, and throw all your drugs and ciggarettes and prescription
drugs out.  Often the people on prescription drugs and under a doctor's care
can't make it and leave the home.  Besides, it is not at all wise to stop
some of the medications these people are on.  God is still at work in these
homes, however, and the church services, whenever the pastor is there, are
great.  I gave up going to church where the pastor is always gone.  A church
in Denver I have wanted to be a part of for years has this same problem.
The pastor is just hardly ever there and he is a great man of God.  The one
and only time we visited his church, I told Sandy and my son, if Doug isn't
there, we are leaving.  They asked me why and I said, Doug is always gone.
Fortunately he was there that night but the next Sunday, we learned that
night, he was going to be gone again.  Come on man.  Make up your mind.  Are
you pastoring or traveling?  I personally need a pastor but finding one who
wants to pastor, or shepherd, seems to be almost impossible these days.  So,
what am I doing?  I'm pastoring those the Lord brings to me either on the
phone or to our two meetings each week.  I pray for them, call them, and
worry about everyone of them like they are my own family or something.

Phil.