BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:04:02 -0500
Big Dogs, Large....

 Ken:

 Got a problem coming up on a project, we have an electrical panel in the
basement of a lab building over at Rice University. We are going to abandon
the existing 50 year old electrical feeder, and conduit to the panel, it was
run in rigid conduit, using lead over rubber covered conductors, there is no
way we will be able to remove the existing feeders. We are installing a new
conduit and feeders to the panel. The problem is this, the existing conduit
has a large amount of water in it (assumed to be ground water), this is
what has precipitated the need to replace the panel, the water seepage has
corroded the copper bussing in the panel. We intend on cutting the conduit
off as close as possible to the wall, leaving a stub of conduit. We will
then beat the old conductors into the conduit as far as possible, lets
assume a maximum of 1 1/2". The issue I need help on is how best to
permanently seal the conduit so that it does not leak anymore. We probably
will not be able to weld a steel cap to the old galvanized conduit. Epoxy
has been suggested, but I want to know if we encapsulate the end, can we
assume that this will be permanent. The total conduit run is about 100', it
is buried probably 3'-4' below ground, it is a 2 1/2" conduit, filled
probably 50% with conductors, I don't think there will be any hydraulic
pressure on what ever seal we go with. Just want some professional input.

Jim