BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:29:08 -0500
I heard about this on this morning's NPR news, further proof that art is happening all over in NYC (note masonry/architectural content):

To take the building in one's teeth
Detail from documentation of performance "consuming architecture" 2001

PRESS RELEASE

A new project by Emily Katrencik
"Consuming 1.956 Inches Each Day For Forty-One Days."

Emily Katrencik's work takes on the main space of social and built architecture addressing the interstitial systems of both social and built space--their potentials and failures as psychological and livable space and the individual's ability or disability to act because of the codes that form these spaces. Recently her work incorporates real life into projects by creating a discourse between the two.

On January 1, 2005 Emily Katrencik began her new project created specifically for a space on 60 North 6TH Street that is part artist's lab and part space for living. Each day for forty-one days Katrencik is ingesting 1.956 inches of a sheetrock wall that separates the gallery from the gallerist's personal living space. Katrencik invites the visitors to the gallery to take an active position in the piece by offering them bread which contains minerals extracted from the sheetrock wall. Through the act of consumption, boundaries collapse between the gallery owner and the artist, between the architecture and the body--creating a new space with the cutting and connecting of the two different spaces.

By consuming the wall, Katrencik unravels the seamless construction of our identity in relation to our controlled environment, revealing a counter position and providing action as a model to be taken in order to create one's own space within the system.

BIOGRAPHY
Emily Katrencik was born in 1975 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and lives and works in New York City. She holds a Bachelors Degree in Sculpture from the San Francisco Art Institute and a Masters of Science in Visual Studies from M.I.T.

A link to the gallery: http://www.lmakprojects.com/

A link to Scott Simon's comments on art ("It's Art, Dammit"):
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4505782