BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Easy bent lead pipe.
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:41:11 -0400
John, we just completed (in time for a spectacular party last weekend!) reconstruction of our 170-year-old wood porch, only the deck structure and columns, but not the roof.  Small thing to be thankful for, but an impressive and comprehensive project, for sure.  I'd be happy to share some photos, if you are interested, as we documented it pretty well, from the first column's ignominious fall to the safety gesture of installing a discreet handrail.  We don't have it painted yet, but it looks terrific.

The wood deterioration was extensive, affecting mostly the concealed heavy timber-framed structure.  There was extensive loss of wood due to various insect feasts, and much cobbling of the structure with modern 2 xs.  We built it back as was originally, and used traditional tools and materials to complement the general historic character and importance of the house (i.e. good craftsmen did beautiful work!).  Let me know, and I'll email some photos of wood deterioration directly, and any of the repairs in progress, that you might find useful.  Just ask, and I might have the shot you need...

Ilene

Date:    Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:36:40 -0400
From:    "John Leeke, Preservation Consultant" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Porch Work

I am working with the National Parks Service, writing a new Preservation
Brief on Wood Porches. I'm looking for photos of the following:

Deteriorated Stairs

Deteriorated Ceiling Boards

Deteriorated Roofing

Deteriorated Porch Apron (lattice work beneath the deck)

Photos might show a deteriorating condition, repairs underway, or both.

Your photos might be used in the final publication, which will be
distributed widely to help people care for and maintain their fine old
wooden porches. If your photo is used you will receive credits in the
publication.

Thanks for your help.

John
by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

26 Higgins St.
Portland, Maine 04103
207 773-2306