From:
Keith Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:38:45 +0100
Hi Ron,

A very interesting question.  I think you are right to be concerned so,
these are my thoughts, not all will agree with them but heregoes.

I believe the correct way to address a microphone is approximately 1 to
two inches away and set the gain accordingly.

I also think that the further away one gets, the more likely the distance
will vary with people moving around e.t.c.  This will result in varying
levels and either overdrive or  much room echo and fan noise e.t.c.  You
only need to listen on the bands to hear people sounding like they are in
an empty room with a power plant behind them, as they stop speaking,
the background increases, sometimes, the meter sits at a constant level,
measuring the fan noise e.t.c.

I avoid any amplifyed microphones, as I believe these make things
worse.  I use a sure 444 but I hold it in my hand and keep it an inch
away from my face.  This way, I can run my linear amp and computer
and no one is aware of the fan noises.

It is also worth note that amplifyed microphones are more proned to rf
feedback and also, they could well overload the microphone amplifyer
stages of many tranceivers.  Certainly kenwood gear requires a low level
input to avoid distortion.  It is only some of the earlier icom rigs that need
amplification in the microphones.

On a more contrivercial note, it strikes me that if folk are using the
computer and need to be miles away from the microphone, are they
paying attention to the conversation they are having anyway?

On 7 Oct 2004 at 21:48, Millers Manor wrote:

>   Hi everyone,
> I hope this isn't too basic a question--especially since I've been a ham =
> for about 19 years.
>
> I've used a desk mic with only one of my rigs and every time I've used
=
> one, I have found myself leaning into the mic or picking it up and =
> holding it so that I don't sound echoy. I always "cross talk" my hand =
> mics and place boom mics close to my lits but in a position that avoids
=
> any pops or breath noise. I've never really trusted my Sure 444 desk
mic =
> not to make me sound like I was talking from inside a hollow drum.
>
> What have you folks found when using desk mics? How do you
reassure =
> yourselves that you don't sound too echoy (besides asking for audio =
> reports, which can get annoying)?
>
> 73
>
> Ron Miller
>
> N6msa