From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:13:04 -0600
they are pretty popular in my area...though of course, considering the range
of these are about half a mile in a typical residential/city environment.
I have the FRS freqs in my scanner with an elevated outdoor antenna and i
can hear the motorola radios about 2 miles away at the mall where a hotel
uses them for house keeping purposes...not quite legal as far as allowable
use goes, but what ever.
Anytime i go somewhere with my handheld scanner, i hear FRS frequencies in
use on a fairly constant basis.
They act as toys for most young kids who have no concept of the fact they
are RF transmitters capable of transmitting a relatively long distance and
that can be over heard by many other users.
Most kids like to play with the call or alert tone features and that is
about all usually.
Much like the old 11 meter CB band, FRS has its negative aspects but also
they have put standards into effect that prevent many of the problems that
appeared with the 11 meter CB band.
Some of these being fixed antenna systems, which means you are not supposed
to be able to use high gain antennas on these radios unless you are a
licensed GMRS user....limited standardized power ratings, and circuit
designs that make it nearly impossible to alter power output without
degrading the whole radio.  Also, of course, narrow band FM transmitions
with typically low deviation levels preventing cross channeling or RFI
interpherence to other electronic equipment.
Generally speaking, i think the FRS is a decent short range communication
setup which allows the average individual to use 2 way radio communications
on a day to day basis without having any level of electronic knolege or know
how on setting up equipment.  The CTCSS features allow for interpherence
free comms between radios as long as someone isn't sitting around finding
your ctcss tone and interphereing on purpose of course.
73
Colin, VA6BKX