From:
"John J. Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:26:08 -0700
Hi Doug.  Haveyou successfully connected to any other stations besides
the test server?  Also, as someone has already mentioned, besure that you
are in the explorer view.  The easiest way to do that is to use your
screenreaders mouse pointer and find the line near the bottom of the
screen that says Index Veiw Explorer view and left click it once on the
word Explorer.  Then, go in to Preferences, under the tools menu and the
first tab is the list tab.  Uncheck anything that says show in index
view.  Most of the items will be checked by default.  This insures that
the next time you bring up the program, it will land in explorer view.
It is then quite easy to browse the list and press enter on the station
you want to connect to.  A time out message usually means that there is
only one way communication which is why you get that message if the ports
aren't forwarded correctly when using a router or firewall.  If you get
the echo server, then you deffinately have communication in both
directions.  If you just don't see a station, generally it will say
station not found.  I did get the time out message one time about a week
ago, when trying to connect to a station that I had in a shortcut.  He
was on as Dash L, but my shortcut only had the call sign, not the dash L.
 Usually, that doesn't make a differents, but for some reason, it did.
When I pressed enter on his call in the list, it connected right away.
Editing the shortcut to include the dash L fixed that problem, but that
is the only time I have ever had that happen.  If you like, you can call
me at:

480-671-7912:

 and I can try to compare settings and see if we can't get you going.  Of
all of the different voice chat programs I have used, I think I have had
the least amount of grief from echo link.  I even used it on a 150 MHz
computer with barely 100 MB of ram and a dialup connection.  That's one
thing you might try, if you have access to a dial up connection, assuming
you are on broadband, try connecting to a station using dial up, that you
can't connect to with your high speed.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I hope you get things going, as I don't
think you will be disapointed.

73 and good luck:
John, KG7FA:
Echo Link: KG7FA-L, node number, 91232