From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:24:11 -0500
Anthony,

Some of this stuff can be hard to find in the manual when you need it.
Below Ive  posted the adjustment procedures.    I keep  it in a text file I
can pull up easy if needed.

As Steve said, the only way to do it yourself is by ear.  If you have
sighted help you can set up once and make a note of your settings  for
future  use.

In my case, using either the Heil Gold Line or Heil Pro Set,  and no
processor, a mike gain of 73  gives me the proper alc on  the meter.  I
leave the proc in  and comp  settings at the stock  setting  of 50 each  as
this gives me the  proper 10 db of comp on the meter.  Your milage may vary.

73, Steve KW3A

MICROPHONE GAIN

The microphone gain must be adjusted when SSB or AM mode is used without
speech processing
{pages 28, 29}.

1. Press [MIC/CAR] - The current microphone gain level appears. The default
is 50; the range is
   from 0 to 100.
2. Press [SEND] or press and hold Mic [PTT]. The MAIN band LED lights red.
3. SSB: While speaking into the microphone, adjust the MULTI/CH control so
that the ALC meter
   reflects your voice level, but does not exceed the ALC limit. AM: While
speaking into the
   microphone, adjust the MULTI/CH control so that the calibrated power
meter slightly reflects
   your voice level. CW, FSK: While transmitting, adjust the MULTI/CH
control so that the ALC meter
   reflects the carrier level within the ALC zone.
4. Press [SEND] or release Mic [PTT] - The MAIN band LED lights green or
turns off,
   depending on the MAIN SQL control setting.
5. Press [MIC/CAR] - For FM mode, access Menu No. 41 {page 28} and select
"LOW", "MID", or "HIGH"
   for the microphone gain.

Note: When using the optional MC-90 microphone in FM mode, select "HIGH" for
the microphone gain.
      The microphone sensitivity is low in FM mode. This may cause
insufficient modulation. For other
      microphones, select either "LOW" or "MID".

****************
SPEECH PROCESSOR

1. Select USB, LSB, FM, or AM mode.
2. Press [PROC/LEVEL] to switch the Speech Processor ON.
The PROC LED lights.
3. Press [FUNC], [PROC/LEVEL] to enter the
Speech Processor input level adjustment mode.
4. As you speak into the microphone, turn the
 MULTI/CH control so that the compression
meter indicates that the compression level is
around 10 dB while you speak. Using higher compression
will not improve your signal clarity or apparent signal strength.
Excessively compressed signals are more
difficult to understand due to distortion and are
less pleasant to hear than signals with less
compression.
5. Press [FUNC], [PROC/LEVEL] to exit the Speech
Processor input level adjustment.
6. Press [MIC/CAR] to enter the Speech processor
output level Adjustment.

As you speak into the microphone, turn the
MULTI/CH control so that the ALC meter
reflects according to your voice level but does
not exceed the ALC limit. Press [MIC/CAR] to
exit when you finish the adjustment.

*End*