C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:27:31 -0400
I think it'd be totally cool if there were only like a few distros but I
suppose the  very nature of open-source provides the means for anyone to
compile his own distro and put it out there.

Actually, Deri, doesn't each distro have something to distinguish it from
all the others?  For example, Fedora/Red Hat, Mandriva, and CentOS all use
a software packaging system called RPM as opposed to Debian, which uses
well, its own packaging standard called, well, Debian. ;)  Some distros
update their total distribution every few months and are considered
'bleeding edge' whilst others such as SuSE and now Mandriva emphasise
stability over updates.   I use Fedora myself, which has a 6-month update
cycle, I believe - I just updated to version 4 last week which has resulted
in some interesting consequences which I'll not go into here as it's highly
'techie.' ;)

Also keep in mind that some Linux distros are compiled specifically for
low-end machines, others require a LOT of computing power, and still others
are compiled specifically for servers.

Kat