Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:31:39 +0000

I ran out of my usual soy powder supplement which was Genisoy ultra xt or genisoy plain protein powder and couldn't get it immediately so started a health store brand about 2 weeks ago.  The can said no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, corn, yeast, wheat, grain, egg, or milk products.  The last 2 weeks I have had returning symptoms including  extreme exhaustion, irritability, depression, stomach pain, diarrhea, itching skin, itching ears, and eyes, brain fog with lack of concentration and forgeting, migraine headaches, feeling cold, blue numb fingers on 50degree days, extremely dry and peeling lips with slight swelling, mouth ulcers and weight loss-lost the 2 lbs I had finally gained after 8 months of trying everything to get my weight over 100lbs.  Am now back to 100lbs again.  I couldn't figure out what was causing the return of symptoms.  I hadn't eaten anything I hadn't prepared myself except plain salad which I eat every day.   In desperation I checked all my labels for home food items for about the 12th time and went back to the "Wheat free, Worry free" book looking for the offending ingredient.  The new soy powder
stated ingredients are  IPP SUPRO NON-GMO soy protein isolate, natural flavor ( natural vanilla bean, maltodextrin).
In looking at ingredient list explanations again maltodextrin is described as follows:    Malto dextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial Hydrolysis of cornstarch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.  a.  Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the US, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn and potato.  THIS RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO VITAMIN OR MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS AND MEDICATIONS!.  b.  Donald Kasarda, PH.d. of the United States Dept of Agriculture, a research chemist specializing in grain protein, found that all maltodextrins in the U>S> are made from cornstarch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats.  On that basis, he believes that celiacs need not be concerned about malodextrins, though he cautions that thereis no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use a wheat starch or a gluten based enzyme in the future.
I saw a letter from someone about what you could take for gluten accidents to help the reaction but can't find it anywhere.  Could someone send it to me please as I know it will be a few weeks before I am feeling okay again.
Also if there are any comments about the maltodextrin issue I will summarize.
I hesitate to print the name of the soy protein until I wait to see if I am feeling better and write to  the company (no 800 number to call.)  I just discovered what the ingredient problem seems to be last night so am still not feeling well at all but a tiny bit better.
I called the health food storeand two wonderful employees told me they thought it was the maltodextrin.
Thanks