From:
Cooper-Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cooper-Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:51:30 -0600

Dear linksters,
Here are the replies I got when I asked what people are doing about =
peripheral neuropathy. Thanks so much to all who responded!
First a definition from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders =
and Stroke:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/peripheralneuropa=
thy.htm
What is Peripheral Neuropathy?
Peripheral neuropathy describes damage to the peripheral nerves, the =
vast communications network that transmits information from the brain =
and spinal cord to every other part of the body. It may be caused by =
diseases of the nerves or as the result of systemic illnesses. Many =
neuropathies have well-defined causes such as diabetes, uremia, AIDs, or =
nutritional deficiencies. In fact, diabetes is one of the most common =
causes of peripheral neuropathy. Other causes include mechanical =
pressure such as compression or entrapment, direct trauma, penetrating =
injuries, contusions, fracture or dislocated bones; pressure involving =
the superficial nerves (ulna, radial, or peroneal) which can result from =
prolonged use of crutches or staying in one position for too long, or =
from a tumor; intraneural hemorrhage; exposure to cold or radiation or, =
rarely, certain medicines or toxic substances; and vascular or collagen =
disorders such as atherosclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, =
scleroderma, sarcoidosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and polyarteritis =
nodosa. A common example of entrapment neuropathy is carpal tunnel =
syndrome, which has become more common because of the increasing use of =
computers. Although the causes of peripheral neuropathy are diverse, =
they produce common symptoms including weakness, numbness, paresthesia =
(abnormal sensations such as burning, tickling, pricking or tingling) =
and pain in the arms, hands, legs and/or feet. A large number of cases =
are of unknown cause.=20

-------------------------------------

Here's what linksters said in answer to my query: " I'd like to get some =
information about peripheral neuropathy in
celiac sufferers. Specifically: What is the treatment? Is there a cure?"

-A good place to learn about PN is the PN forum on Braintalk =
Communities.=20
That is where I learned about the link between CD and PN and this =
changed my=20
life for the better. There is also a Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease =
forum=20
on Braintalk too. http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/index.php and =
scroll down.
----------------
 The things that helped a lot were Perilla Seed Oil capsules, 500 mg =
twice a day, and fish oil capsules, 1000 mg once per day. Grapeseed =
powder capsules also help with capillary blood flow. I got two of the 2" =
thick memory foam (viscoelastic) mattress pads, one on top of the other, =
which helped my circulation so I could sleep without tossing and turning =
or going numb in the legs. I've had a lot less trouble this year than in =
prior years.
---------------------------------
Hi: My cousin has p.n. but I don't know if he is celiac. He went to a =
Chinese doctor who did acupuncture for his p.n. and can now walk without =
a=20
wheelchair.
-------------------------
I have been to several Neuro doctors and they all say there is no cure.

>I take B12 shots, whether it does any good is debatable.
Treating my adrenal fatigue with natural adrenal extracts has helped me=20
with this.

----------------------
I don't know if there is any equivalence between neuropathies caused by
diabetes and those caused by celiac disease.  Be that as it may, the
Strelitz diabetes institute in Norfolk, VA =
(http://www.evms.edu/diabetes/)
is home to one of the world's leading neuropathy researchers, Dr Arthur
Vinik.  If anyone is going to have an answer for you, he will.
I would ask a neurologist or naturopath that question, about how much is
enough. My Bs are all together with a tremendous amount of b12.=20
I just sort of experiment with taking more when stress is higher, etc.
(See Part 2)