From:
Cooper-Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cooper-Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:05:12 -0600

Thanks to all who have responded to my query about whether we can eat couscous or semolina. The  definitive answer is a resounding NO! I've heard from over 60 people now. Most simply said "No" or "Don't eat it." A few also said, "Both are wheat, contain gluten, and therefore are not allowed on a GF diet." The following also added more info:

-One sent the link to the list to check things out for ourselves (thanks, Shirley!) and it is:

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H10Q2rPAUj-52104116361.dd

-Terri Collins and many others wrote, "Try Quinoa in place of couscous. It has a wonderful taste,
is high in fiber and gf."

-Dave Taylor pointed out that "Ferina is yet another name for wheat."

-Mireille, co-host of Delphi CD Forum Support Group, says she uses short grain brown rice instead.

-Hilary Shughart suggested breaking rice spaghetti into very small pieces to make it a lot like couscous.

-Chris in MA said "Some of the people that sell quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) sell it in gluten-free pasta shapes, hot cereal and in a flour form, too.  It is a very, very nutritious grain and is gluten free (as long as the manufacturer doesn't mix it with wheat, barley or rye.) Examples of what it looks like if used in it's natural state:
http://www.quinoa.bigstep.com/generic2.html

-Lynn Samuel said: "One of Carol Fenster's cookbooks has a gluten-free recipe using rice to make couscous."

-Karen M. Davis said: "Couscous: wheat-flour pasta shaped like tiny balls. Cooks instantly in hot water. Semolina: Coarse ground whole wheat meal (coarser grind than flour). Either usable only by celiacs who wish to become best friends with the porcelain-tiled room."

-Bev in CT says: "Rizcous (rice kind of couscous) is a good substitute."

-And Joe Ellison sent a link with a "good brief description of both": http://www.epicureantable.com/articles/agrainsemolina.htm

Again, thanks to all of you who cared enough to help me save my gut! Merry Christmas!