From:
Frances Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:04:07 -0600

I have been on the receiving end of these e-mails for some time now, and want to say thank-you, especially for all of the recipes and  cooling helps.  It is tough when you are first diagnosed and my husband refuses to eat as I do, so I have to cook for him too.  I tried the cornstarch substitute for flour in a fruit cake, and it seemed to work just fine.  I am going to try a carrot cake next.  I get very discouraged, as my celiac went undiagnosed too long, and I have lymphacytic colitis and pancreas damage, and I am not responding al all to the diet, even though I am extremely careful.  I am 60 years old and have had symptoms for probably 30 years.  I am better while on steriods and waiting to see a doctor in Birmingham that maybe knows how to treat me.  I was in and out of the hospital for 5 weeks and dehydrated at least 5 times, had my gall bladder removed, and a growth removed, before they did a biopsy and discovered the cause of the pain and diahrrea.  I live in the panhandle of Florida and my GI doctor and medical doctor have never treated anyone with celiac, and there has been no help other than the internet with my disease and my diet.  So, all of you are doing a great service with your correspondence, it helps more people than you know.
Frances Walker