From:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:06:39 -0800

Oh dear...

First  - thank you Betsy for your extensive post and research on oils - and for posting many types of sites.

Secondly - I considered the information that I submitted to the list serve to be absolutely on track for this list serve. My son, age 12, has been ill far too much in his young life, and my purely anecdotal experience is that the coconut oil gave him another step forward in health. In fact for him, I would say that I saw major steps forward at each of these these steps:

1) going basic gluten free at age nine - wheat, barley, rye
2) Primal Defense - helped the gut
3) going completely gluten free - by eliminating oats - this was HUGE for him at age 10
4) coconut oil - I included this in his diet, and FINALLY I see his normal immune system kicking in. He seems like a "regular kid>"  - but FIRST  I saw a reaction in his gut. What can I say...It reminded me of a major gluten tummyache, sans gluten, and then he was able to resist colds. A sniffle and then he gets better. He bounces back! It used to be that EACH AND EVERY TIME this would cycle into earaches, cough, and at least four days of missed school. It is my belief that the "off" immune system was somehow related to the basic sick or leaky gut or whatever can happen with celiacs. And I found that I did not react so much to soy - but I must still avoid it due to thyroid.

Has it made a weight loss miracle for me? NO - (unfortunatey)
Has it seemed to decrease blood sugar type reactions, and decrease my appetite? Yes....Have I managed to parlay this into actually eating a lot less and therefore losing weight? NO
Have I felt warmer since taking it? Yes!
Is it unfari that I haven't found it to be a majot weight loss miracle and the weight just feell off! YES YES YES - Wouldn't that be great!

Interestingly, I find that I am less drawn to teh cocnut oil. When i first received it - I was very hungry for it - i think my body recognized some factor hat had been missing for quite sme time. Now I just use it now and then...But i still prefer it when cooking and egg -since it doesn't break down into free radicals/ But, my point is - when I first received it  I was actually hungry for it. It tasted incredibel. Whne sugar is not involved,I think that is a sing the taste buds are recognizing something.

So - please - take it easy...I am simply sharing anecdotal expiences. This gluten free thing has been a much more involved ride than I ever first imagine. I am very happy for the first time since beginning this journey over 2 years ago to feel that my son is FINALLY healing completely.

Am I possibly deluded on this? Of course...Does it help to have this poited out? No - becasue the hope that he is healed off at least teh side issues does my heart good.

So  - n clsoing - i love to hear about anything that helps people heal their bodies and thier gut so the ONLY thing they have to worry about is avoiding gluten! People with multiple gluten damage problems would be ecstatic if all they had to avoid was glute - and learn how to make pizza and croissants, etc. That is hte easy part comapred to the