From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:21:55 -0400

Hi listmates,
Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to send me great recipes =
for ice cream cakes.  I can't wait to make one for the party. I have to send this in two emails .. it was too long for one.
Here are the recipes:
___
Butter a spring form pan and line with GF cookies.  Set that aside.  Let =
the Ice cream of your choice soften and spread over the crumb mixture =
until half way up the pan.  Put more cookie crumbs in the middle and =
fill the rest of the pan with the softened ice cream.
You can put crumbs on top or leave it plain.  Freeze for several hours.  =
Remove from freezer 20-25 minutes before serving.  Remove sides of the =
spring form pan and cut ice cream cake into slices.
_____

I used Gluten Free Pantry's Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix, baked it
according to directions in a 10-inch spring form cheesecake pan. When
cooled, I cut the cake in half horizontally so I had two round cakes. I
froze the cakes (wrapped separately in Saran Wrap) for a couple of =
hours. I
put one cake half in the bottom of the spring form pan, then put a half
gallon of softened Edy's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream as the second layer, =
then
placed the second cake half on top of that. I covered with Saran Wrap =
and
froze the cake again for a couple of hours so the ice cream hardened. =
The
next step is to take the cake out of the pan form and place on a round =
cake
board or plate. Spread chilled Smuckers hot fudge on the top of the =
cake.
Frost with Cool Whip all over the sides. You can pipe additional Cool =
Whip
along the top edge, bottom edge, and top middle with a cake decorating =
bag
and tip to make it look prettier. Sprinkle Cool Whip with GF Chocolate
Sprinkles. And Marachino cherries to the top. Cover loosely and put back =
in
freezer for Cool Whip to harden. Let cake sit out for about an hour =
before
serving to soften before cutting, otherwise the cake is very hard.
_____
I made my ice cream cake from scratch using a gf ice cream recipe in any =

cookbook or use the recipes that comes with ice cream maker. If you=20
don't have an ice-cream maker, you can just soften gf store-bought ice=20
cream.  (To keep it simple - use the store-bought!)  Next I pressed the =
soft ice cream into two 9" round cake tins, covered with plastic wrap.  =
Freeze until hard.  Dip the cake pan into warm water=20
for just a few seconds, turn upside down and the ice cream comes out.  =
Spread choc sauce, nuts or candy bits in between the layers.  Put back  =
into the freezer to harden together. Prepare frosting.  Note:  It is =
virtually impossible to frost the ice cream with a spatula.  The =
frosting will not stick. I bought a large=20
star shaped frosting tip, a round frosting tip, and disposable =
decorating bags.  I made a double batch of buttercream frosting (any =
all-purpose cookbook should have a basic recipe), divided in 4 parts, =
and colored it with blue, green, yellow and red food coloring -- four =
frosting colors.  Wilton cake decorating accessories and basic =
instructions are helpful in learning how to do this.  I bought the =
Wilton beginners instructi                                   onbook.Imake=
star shape drops all along the top edge, bottom edge and sides. =20
You can make designs with different colors. I used a flower-shaped =
cookie cutter to mark shapes in the top of the  cake, then filled in the =
center of the shapes with star-drops of colored frosting (like coloring =
inside the shape).  I used the round frosting tip to write the greeting =
on the cake.  Use your imagination for the design! If you are slow at =
frosting the cake, you  may have to pop it back into the freezer to firm =
up.  Allow plenty of time and you should have a fun!  One year, my =
daughter and her friend decorated her birthday cake and they had a =
blast!
______