BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:47:00 -0500
Met History wrote:

> In a message dated 1/3/05 10:00:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> Besides, we all know that the tar schmear on the roof trick is the worst
>> treatment you can apply to a historic building roof.
>

> I am beginning to rethink the tar-on-the-roof shibboleth, along with
> vinyl siding.  I bet Ruskin would have used tar.
>
> Ken?
>
> christopher

c.

Once again I'm called upon to play the iconoclast? Who is Ruskin? I've
not read him.

With all materials there is an optimal manner of use. An historic
"artists" shed built with old doors and scrap lumber held together with
xmas lights, roofing paper and TAR would be an appropriate application
of tar as an histo-presto repair/maintenance media. The only problem is
as I remember the example I remember burnt down rather quickly when it
did burn down due to an electrical short and the high prevalence of
petro chemicals. I suspect also the vernacular of seaside shanties would
not be adverse to a schmear or two.

Besides, a brief visit to Home Depot will reveal even to the novice that
there is a whole new variety of tar based products from which to choose
and that, as an historic dentist making wooden teeth, it is simply the
fun of diversity that cannot be resisted in the application of new stuff
to old. Then again, tar on a few of the more contemporary
modified-bitumen roofing systems actually eats through the roofing
membrane. -- seemingly a little know fact by do-it-yourself facilities
maintenance folks. Another problem is that tar, unmodified by modern
science, tends to dry out, not stretch with movement, and to crack.
Alligatoring can be quite interesting from an aesthetic view, but not so
good when it comes to the infiltration of water into the buiilding
envelope. Much better to schmear with urethanes, in our climate, and
silicones in Texas.

I will admit though an absolute abhorence of tar smeared all over the
inside of brick parapets.

][<