From:
Dave Marthouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:53:08 -0500
Hi Steve,

Your idea is an interesting one.  Think back to the laws of physics.  Down
on the lower frequencies, let's say the standard broadcast band, stations
achieve directionality through the use of multi-tower arrays that are phased
to give a directive pattern.  There is no reason that the same can't be
done with verticals on higher frequencies.  The same laws of physics apply.
It probably would be simpler to get a yagi or a quad up for the bands in
question.  With that sort of antenna you would be able to rotate it to favor
the direction you wish.  With a set of phased verticals you I'm sure could
get directional properties but it would be more difficult and more of a
hassle to do it with the verticals than the "point and shoot" approach of
yagis or quads.  The reason yagis or quads aren't used for lower frequencies
is a question of size.  Theoretically a 160 meter yagi would require lots of
real-estate and not to mention a huge rotor to move all that aluminum.  Well
that's my 2 cents.  Does anyone else have comments?

Dave Marthouse N2AAM