From:
Jerry Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:50:07 -0400
Hi John.

Well, I was not talking about irq's but, in effect, they are very much
involved.  Com ports 1 & 3, for example, use the same irq, as do 2 & 4. So,
unless the operating system gets very sophisticated and manages to share
those irqs in an exotic way, 3 can't be used if 1 is active, 2 unusable if 4
is being used. And, yes, this laptop comes with about everything you can
think of in terms of its ability to talk to the outside work, from firewire
to u s b to infra red to wireless network, the works, all very nice unless
you want a functional com port. I suppose the rationale, not unreasonable,
is that the new u s b 2s, so lightening fast, will soon make rs232 ports
absolutely obsolete.

Cheers,

Jerry