From:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:37:31 -0700

Hi Listmates,

I was the poster who asked about going on a cruise (original question
posted to the list on October 5). I apologize for the delay in posting
a summary; I started a new job and moved and totally forgot that I
hadn't posted a summary.

Here is what I learned: (about 10 responses)

* When you make your reservation tell your travel agent that you need
gluten-free food options on-ship. Then call the cruise company and
tell them you need gluten-free. If your cruise company requests that
you fill-out an on-line passenger profile, note it in the profile that
you need gluten-free food. You can even send a letter to the head
waiter of the ship you will be traveling on (send it via the
headquarters of the cruise line you are traveling with, and be sure to
include the sailing date). Basically the point is: let as many people
know as soon as possible, in order to increase the chance that there
will be GF choices available to you.

* Many people reported that they ate in the same dining room every
night. They became acquainted with the head waiter for that dining
room, and often made food requests one day early. Dinners for the most
part seemed to be okay, however some listmates had troubles with other
meals; this tended to vary depending on the cruise line.

* Apparently different cruise lines deal with celiac in different
ways. Apparently NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines) doesn't provide
gluten-free foods (according to several listmates and as per my call
to their customer service line), but if you make wise choices from the
menu, you can still eat GF. However, if you want bread, cereal,
cookies, crackers, snacks, etc. you better bring your own, because NCL
doesn't help with that. They apparently have many sauces that are not
GF, but one listmate reported that they didn't put anything in their
place, so food was often dry and unappealing. NCL apparently didn't
offer soy milk either. A number of people have traveled with Princess,
and apparently Princess tries to make eating GF easier on the ship.
They reportedly have GF breakfast foods, breads, etc. but you have to
alert the cruise line before you go, and you have to talk to the
maitre 'd as soon as you get on-board. One listmate said that they
much preferred their Bob and Ruth Gluten-Free cruise to Alaska on
Holland America several years ago to Norwegian Cruise Line as on board
Norwegian they were always selling something, which they found
annoying. The believed that Holland America is better and believed it
now has Kinnickinnick Gluten Free products on all its cruise ships.

* My trip goes to Belize, and one listmate suggested that I eat
lobster while I'm there.

Non-Celiac related cruising advice:

* Stick to the activities provided by the ship. You may think that you
are saving money, but it can cost you in the long run when you don't
understand all the requirements of what you are getting yourself into.

* When on shore, don't drink the water, and be careful of fruits that
are washed in the water. Carry extra Pepto-B. in case you get the
runs.

That is most of the information that I was sent. I'm looking forward
to my post-Christmas cruise, and will try to remember to post a
summary of how it went when I get back early next year.

Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT