Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:41:47 -0700
The FDISK program creates a partition table on your hard disk. A partition
table defines how the disk is to be used. That is, it allows you to divide
the disk into areas to be used for various operating systems. The partition
table has room to identify up to four separate partitions (divisions of the
disk). Only one of the partitions may be a primary, and up to three more may
be extended.

There is more. Each extended partition actually points to another partition
table that is located elsewhere on the disk. These extended partitions can
then be divided into four more partitions.

It is probably getting confusing here, so I will stop. For you as the user,
remember that you can have on primary and a large number of extended
partitions that are usually used as logical drives.

Peter