From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:38:04 -0600
Michael Raiti wrote:

> It seems that modern research and clinical observations reinforce
> many of the ideas of the paleodiet.  Specifically, the problems with
> gluten grains and milk proteins such as casein.  Is anyone aware of
> current research or clinical findings into problems with non-gluten
> grains such as amaranth, quinoa and teff,  besides their high
> carbohydrate content?  I don't believe that these contain phytic acid
> and am not aware of allergy problems associated with them.  Are they
> high in oxalic acid?  If anyone has come across any information
> related to these grains, please pass along.

Quinoa and amaranth (grain or greens) are considered high oxalate
sources (they are in the beet family).  I don't know about teff but would
be interested.  I've started a low-oxalate diet hoping to get a handle on my
fibromyalgia.  The first thing that happened is that all my troublesome
food cravings went away.  Amazing!  I expect it will take longer to get
the oxalates out of the muscles (if that is what is causing the problem?)

I doubt if teff is low oxalate, because all whole grains are at least
medium, but
my guess is that it is medium.

    Lynnet