C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:08:19 -0500
Hi to all - I joined this group last week and have been reading through your
emails.  I have an 8 year old CP child.  He is the most wonderful kid in the
world.  He is ambulatory, but non verbal and of course, spoiled rotten.  He
can do some things for himself (feeding) and can help when he wants on
dressing himself.  We have started insisting that he do more for himself.

We have been asking questions regarding what is in store for him.  You guys
seem to have already been there; done that.  What should I be doing for him
at this stage in his life?  What can we expect for him?  Doctors have not
been very forthcoming with any information and we don't really want to go
there regarding the school systems.  We are still dealing with them and are
really having to fight for language skills - we prefer sign language (a
little difficult with him being high tone, but he is managing with a little
bit of adjustment) and they are pushing for communication boards.  I have
had my concerns, but now I really anxious about what needs to be done for
him.

After 6 years, we do have the epilepsy under control with medication, but
have had to fight insurance to provide his meds at a reasonable cost to us.

Any suggestions, recommendations, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
Have a blessed day,

Lisa Stone