Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 03:11:55 -0600
HI TOm,

My Icom 740 doesn't have a reliable preamp either.  If I recall
correctly there's a relay that switches it in and out when you use the
front panel control.  Said relay goes rather flakey and doedsxn't do
what it ought.

MIne hasn't worked for years except occasionally if you cycle the
switch a few times, same happens with the compressor.

Not much help but best I can offer.  A friend of mine who had the
service manual on that rig told me he'd replace it for me but I never
got around to having him order the part before I left Iowa.  Oh well,
another project for down the road.   THe receiver seems to function
fine without it however so I just never bothered.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
almost 50% of those at ground zero on 9/11/01 still have
longterm health problems.  Almost half of those have no health insurance.