From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:03:12 -0400

Answering your questions and updating:

Someone in Florida is contacting  a major Orlando radio station to see if they can get the word out and serve as a collection site.

The Red Cross really can't get involved in this. They're not about to set aside a gluten-free food fund from donations. If we can get ourselves organized, and I was looking for CSA or GIG leadership (?????), then we can see that the Red Cross nationwide has a website or email contact whenever there is a crisis, to get the ball rolling. It's more than about us. The Red Cross should have a list of sites and email addresses for special needs. Wouldn't it be great if the emergency crisis teams, wherever they may be, would know who to call for help, and that the word would be out there beforehand as to where food should be sent.

My idea....if we can find a way to reach those in need and a way for them to actually get to the food, then those of us who wish to donate could just order food from our favorite vendors, especially Gluten-Free Pantry and Anna's Sobaski's products, because they stepped up to the front, and have those vendors ship the foods to the collection sites, we'd avoid the business of collecting and being responsible for money.

Thanks for the increasing number of people who are asking how they can help!
Lin