EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:44:49 -0400
I hope this future doesn't come too quickly.  The process of converting
hand-written  equations into MathML, Nemeth Code or accessible SVG is not
trivial; blind students in these classrooms might need the help of a
realtime transcription service that has been outsourced to China.

In 1966 I had a Chinese calculus instructor in college who wrote and spoke
at greater than 60 miles per hour, so to speak.  I took a few notes, but
got the most out of reading my five-year-out-of-date braille textbook,
which was one edition older than the one the class was using.  Two
different volunteer groups had transcribed this 28-volume book, unbeknownst
to each other, around 1961, and I saw both copies at Iowa State University.

New challenges, new opportunities.

At 04:17 AM 9/9/2004 -0400, Catherine Alfieri wrote:
>The Tablet PC Takes Its Place in the Classroom
>
>September 9, 2004
>By THOMAS J. FITZGERALD
>

>TABLET PC's have been around for almost two years now, and
>while they have not yet proved to be the revolutionary
>change agents that they were billed as in November 2002,
>they are starting to carve a niche for themselves in
>certain corners of the digital world.

... Creating implements of mass instruction.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.