From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:55:33 -0500
For external solutions, I just a read a very good review of the Maxtor One
touch backup in PC Magazine.
As far as I know, HDs are not repairable for this error.
Most new drives come with a utility to clone the existing drive. Maxtor
calls It Max-Blast. I've used it several times and it's fairly fast and
totally accurate.
From what I've read, you are correct to adddress this issue promptly.
You can read about attribute #10 here:
http://www.siguardian.com/products/siguardian/on_line_help/s_m_a_r_t_attribu
te_meaning.html
**************
My hard disk has deteriorated to the point that it is about to fail. The
following error message now  appears: "1720 Smart Hard Drive detects
imminent failure.  Your Hard Drive is detecting imminent failure.  To ensure
no data loss, back-up contents and replace this hard drive. Attribute
failed: #10"

The HDD is a 37.2 Gigabyte Maxtor 5T040H4 (with 32 Gigs used).  It is
running on a Compaq Deskpro with a 997 MHz, Intel Pentium III chip, and 190
MB of SDRAM.  My operating environment is Window 2000 Professional 5.00.2195
(Service Pack 4)
I have a lot of video and audio files on the  machine, in addition to my
data files.  I also have a lot of one-off  programs and add-ons which I want
to save.  I therefore would like to know the following:
    1.  Can I repair the HDD or must I replace it?
    2.   Is there a program which will allow me literally to copy
everything on my hard drive                         altogether, as one
unit of data, and then copy it to a replacement drive, again in one
block of             data?
    3.  What is the best way (i.e the procedure) for replacing the HDD
(e.g I am thinking of buying an             Iomega External Drive,
copying all items on my HDD onto this, replacing the internal HDD
        in the Compaq, and then copying back from my External HDD to the new
internal HDD)?
    4.   Are there any particular issues or problems I need to guard
against when trying to replace                 my internal HDD and is
the Iomega the best External Drive to buy for the above task?

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL