Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:50:45 -0600
Hello Lewis & Everyone,

In addition to the many good suggestions already on this 'ongoing' thread on
computer clocks, I would like to add my 2¢ worth. A good CMOS (Complementary
Metal Oxide Semiconductor) battery under normal usage should last for 3-5
years. It's good practice to change it every 2-3 years before telltale
symptoms of the clock slowing or changes in other settings (program), etc.
start to appear. It's also a good idea to keep a record of any changes
you've made to the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) as these settings will
be lost when you change the battery unless you are extremely fast and lucky.

Two clock utilities I used with all my Win9X systems are Dimension 4 and
TClockEx. What I liked about Dimension 4 is that it can be set to
synchronize the time on startup, then exit automatically.

Dimension 4 - Synchronize Your Clock - Free
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dim4.html

This is from the TClockEx Web site: "TClockEx enhances the standard Windows
taskbar clock, adding the ability to display the date, time and lots of
other information in any format you like. TClockEx is highly customizable,
from the format to the font and colour, and even the tooltip information."

TClockEx - Taskbar Clock Enhancer - Free
http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/tclockex/about.htm

For those of us using WinXP there's a neat utility by Doug Knox, Microsoft
MVP (Most Valuable Professional) that allows you to change the interval
(frequency) between the Internet Time Updates that XP does weekly by
default. You can choose weekly, daily, hourly, or custom settings. The
really neat thing about it is there is no install or uninstall. You simply
unzip the file, execute the program and the changes take effect on the next
restart.

Change Internet Time Sync Interval:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_inet_time.htm

Sven Swanson, Sr.