From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:31:35 -0500
I sent a message to Canon asking if I could network their S900 inkjet with 3 computers on my home network.  All computers have Win XP Pro SP1. The S900 interface is USB 1.1 only.  I was considering a Trend printserver with 2 USB and 1 LPT connections.  See belows for my original message and canon's response.  Does anyone know if the S900 will work off a USB printserver? If you have such a set up working respond with the name and model of the USB printserver, and how you set it up.  Installation using Canon's software would be hard since it requires plugging the printer into a USB port on the computer and having the software find the printer.  I don't think the software offers any kind of network setup.  Let me know if you know.  Here's the original e-mails:

Subject: Re: Website Inquiry - Color Bubble Jet Printer

Dear Joseph Marty,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Canon does not support the configuration you have inquired about.  This
is not to say the setup will not work, but that Canon cannot provide
assistance on this configuration.  Canon has found that network/print
server/print sharing environments do not function with 100% compliance
to Canon compatibility standards.

Though Canon does not support this configuration, I am providing a link
to a website that may help to provide assistance, with pictures, on how
to network through Windows.  Please note that this is a third party
website that is not affiliated with Canon.

http://www.wown.com/

1. Click on Articles and Tutorials.
2. Click on the appropriate version of Windows.
3. Click on on the desired subject matter.

If any other assistance is needed, then please feel free to contact us
again and we will be glad to help you.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Stephen
Product Support Representative

Original message Follows:

Can the S900 be networked using a usb print server?  I want to network
it to 3 computers at home.  The Trend TE100-p2us1p may be the print
server unless it is incompatible with the s900 or the s900 cannot be
networked.  Is that a yes or a no? Is there some place to find out how
to install it on a network if can be networked? Joseph Marty

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.