From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:46:44 -0800
Thank you for the information on your findings, Richard. I would like to add
a couple of comments.

As a former electronics engineer, I find that the memory testing fine even
without the capacitors is not all that surprising. The capacitors are a
"good practice" item to reduce noise. However, the amount of electrical
noise present also depends on the board layout, the particular memory ICs,
and the motherboard design.

My second comment is in regards to the use of adhesive for the heat
spreaders. If mounting tape is used, then the heat is not getting removed
from the ICs as well as it should be. It is the ICs that need the cooling,
but tape is a heat insulator, even if it is the supposed heat conductive
tape. This would lead me to conclude that the heat spreaders are mainly to
get income for the manufacturers of the heat spreader, and not for any real
benefit.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                     support at our newest website: