ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 06:41:05 -0500
Julie,,

In a nut shell:

What is Alpha?

  The Alpha course is a ten-week practical introduction to the Christian
faith.  It is designed primarily for non-churchgoers and those who have
recently become Christians.
   It was established at Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB), London, over 20 years
ago, and there are now more than 14,000 courses running throughout the
world with approximately 3,500 of these so far in the US.
  Alpha is a flexible and practical model, which can work for any group of
any size. Churches and Christian organizations of every background and
denomination are discovering it to be a simple and effective way of
presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ in a clear and non-threatening manner
to people from all walks of life..

It involves having a meal together, then presenting a talk, the leader can
do this or it is also on video, and then discussion in small groups.  It
Covers all the Christian basics and while it is really meant for the
unchurched, it also serves as a great refresher course for the people who
attend church, but don't get much out of it.  We did ALPHA with our church
members first.  Now we are venturing out and it is fun!  Last night was
really enjoyable.

Kathy