From:
Kieran and Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kieran and Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:32:08 -0500

Since this subject comes up so often, I thought you all might be interested in this article.  Though it's talking about antibiotics, in general it's saying that beneficial gut bacteria help turn down the immune system so you can ignore funguses and foreign proteins.  When mice had their bacteria killed off by antibiotics, they developed sensitivity to Candida, and their reaction to egg protein was damaged lungs.   I think celiacs have trouble keeping their gut bacteria healthy, so taking benenficial bacteria and probiotics OR eating a diet high in fiber would help with this.
 I just read a book about Dr. Denis Burkitt, who did a great deal of research linking the civilized diseases (diabetes, heart disease, constipation and diverticulosis, colon cancer) to lack of fiber in the modern diet.  He's the one who got the cereal companies to promote fiber in cereals a couple decades ago.  He said that bacteria feed on the indigestible fiber in natural foods and make gas.  In general, the class of what we might call "fart foods" are very good for gut health and for reducing allergies.  A friend who's been researching for a book on asthma agreed with me on this one.  Well known "fart foods" include the cabbage family, oats, sunchokes, and beans.  Really, all veggies are good sources of fiber, and most are easier to live with than this notorious list.  Dr. Burkitt recommended whole wheat, which is of course no good for us, but he also recommended the lowly potato which is much maligned in low carb circles but is a pretty good source of fiber, esp if the skins are left on.   Hope this gets some of you get your guts to feeling healthy again.
    Which reminds me, I've never mentioned it to the group as a whole before, but clay did wonders for me back when I was still eating wheat and had terrible diarrhea.  It also seems to help with occasional exposure.  I know some "bad celiacs", a couple who avoid wheat in general but who take trips where they eat fast food, eat what their families serve them, and usually come home sick and spend a week recuperating.  They bought some Pascalite, (the best clay by far in my opinion), and took some along for a trip.  They took a big spoonful each day, stirred into water, and that trip they did just fine.  Two weeks later they had to make the same biz related trip, and ate fast food as usual, but that evening they searched in vain in their suitcases for their new secret weapon - the clay had been left at home.  They said they were sick as dogs by the time they got home.    Donna

Antibiotics linked to huge rise in allergies