From:
Linda Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:41:50 EDT

Hi all-

My 6 year old son tested pos. for celiac with blood test a couple months
ago. His pre testing symptoms were constipation, stomach pain, fatigue, weight
loss and a dropping growth percentile. His constipation has been alleviated by
a  daily serving of Fiber Juice. He has been on the GF diet for about 6 weeks
now  and had been putting on weight and feeling so much better. Until last
week . .  .

Last week he had terrible diarrhea, started on Fri and lasted through
Sunday. On Saturday the poor kid must have run to the toilet at least 40 times  (I'm
not exaggerating). Naturally I stopped the Fiber Juice, but kept him
hydrated with lots of gatorade and pedialyte, homemade broth, and eventually fed  him
rice & rice based products.

His stool had blood and mucous in it so I called the doctor and brought him
in to be examined Sunday. Subsequent stool testing did not show any evidence
of  parasites or bacterial infections. We have been sticking to the diet, no
cheating.

Is it common for kids with Celiac to react more violently to stomach
viruses? Before being tested, for Celiac, he had a stomach flu and threw up  13 times
in a row, within about 8 hours.

Any insight, advice would be appreciated.

Linny