Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:58:03 -0500
  I can't recommend an external tuner, per se, however, one thing I do
highly recommend for anyone needing to use a manual tuner (if they are still
made) is the Palomar Engineering Antenna Tuner Tuner. It is a Wheatstone
bridge (I assume) preset to 50 ohms using the tuner as part of the circuit.
You connect the Tuner Tuner in line between the transceiver and antenna
tuner. When you turn it on, the tuner switches itself in-line and you hear
white noise. You begin to couple the antenna using the tuner and the white
noise decreases. When you are getting pretty close, you will listen for a
"null" in the white noise, touching up the trimmer cap and resistor several
times since changing one will effect the other. When you've got the tuner
touched up so that you have nulled out the white noise, the tuner is set
correctly.

It actually takes longer to explain than the unit takes to use.

You don't put a signal on the air and there is no need to read a visual
meter. When you are done, the tuner will be set to provide a 50 ohm load for
the transmitter.

Ron Miller

N6MSA