From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 17:27:53 -0500
On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:05, Eric LoVullo wrote:

>Greetings everyone,

>Basically the reason I'm back is to further flesh out, in my own mind,
>what this diet actually should entail.
>
>vale
>Eric

That's easy, Eric, it's about confining your food intake to the foods that would have been available
to Homo sapiens before the descent into agriculture which began about 10,000 years ago in some
parts of the world and is almost completed today.  We refer to these foods as Palaeo (or Paleo).

Numerous corollaries spring from this, most prominent among them being (1) that the foods
should be consumed in their Palaeo state (not frozen, packaged, bottled or tinned), (2) seasonally
available locally (not imported or trucked in from another climatic zone), (3) generally require
fewer energy units to gather than the energy units provided by their consumption. Where such
foods cannot be had for the gathering, we make a 21st century compromise by eating foods that
are grown using agricultural methods, but we try to ensure that these foods are organic and
grown as naturally as possible (for example, no grain-fed beef or poultry). We also avoid recipes -
which obviously didn't exist 10,000 years ago.

Because human evolution is an on-going thing, different people with different ancestries, have
different evolutionary adaptations to different foods.  Some people have a Palaeo intolerance to
grains and dairy products while others can eat them without any ill-effects.  For those who
tolerate milk and cheese, there is no physiological reason for them not to eat these products, but
some people prefer to avoid them for ideological reasons - that is, to reamain a Palaeo purist.

We look forward to hearing from you in the future!

Keith