From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:10:26 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Faigin also writes: "A thyroid hormone calles *trilodothyronine* (T3) is a key regulator of metabolic
> rate and calorie restriction causes a decline in T3.  Studies also show that diets that continuously
> restrict carbohydrate (like the Atkins diet) cause a reduction in T3 and that administering
> cabohydrate can restore T3 levels after they have declined.  This ... explains why the fat comes
> piling back on once you quit such a diet.  Simply put, any diet that causes a reduction in T3 levels
> is not a viable means of achieving lasting fat loss."

My reading over the years suggests that not only Atkins or low
carbohydrate but all weight loss diets tend to suppress thyroid
function. Atkins specifically addresses this in his books -- one of the
reasons he suggests that one only do  his diet with supplementaton.

I have recently been put on thyroid medication -- my body hadn't
changed , but the threshold for treatment has. I was hoping to lose an
ounce or two from it -- instead I've gained about 8 pounds. Confounding
variables I'm afraid -- I ate some carbs over the holidays (I was hoping
the thyroid meds would ameliorate their effects) and the HRT I've been
using  was re-formulated for better absorption. As much as I love some
of the benefits of the Wiley HRT Protocol -- I'm beginning to think that
instead of just emulating youth, it emulates pregnancy -- and I for one
was the kind who gained enormous gobs of weight before I even knew I was
pregnant. I'm beginning to believe the only way I will ever lose weight
is to become a Buddhist, give up food completely and meditate on my
belly fat. Maybe by the time I reach enlightenment I'll look good.

BTW -- the extremely low carb diet is the only one that seems to at
least slow my weight gain and lessen my acid reflux. Getting old sucks.

Namaste, Liz