From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:26:53 -0500
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:09:14 -0700, Michael Weis
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Correction. I think it would probably be more accurate to say that you
could
>eat anything you
>wanted, including non-paleo foods, that led to this situation. I am eating
>just as much food
>now that I'm eating paleo as when I didn't, but I am losing weight and I am
>NEVER as full after a
>large meal as I used to feel. Also, I am not tempted to eat as much as I
used
>to, even though I
>still sometimes "think" that I need to eat more than I really do.

I'm sure non-paleo foods didn't help my health in general and probably
screwed up normal satiety mechanisms -- but I believe that not learning to
eat when one is truly hungry and then stop is a horrid habit to break. It
didn't help matters that despite my gluttony, I remained thin -- because
that only reinforced the idea that it was ok to overeat.  I love meat and
could eat a whole duck in a sitting very easily -- now there is no way
someone my size needs to eat a whole duck. That's just being a piggy. I
think overeating paleo foods is what has kept me shy of my goal weight.
I also abused food in terms of using it if I was bored, or sad or to
celebrate etc when the most important reason to eat is if one is hungry.
Certainly paleo foods in general are not as convenient to overeat (an
exception would be nuts, fruit )ie you can't pull out a tub of lamb at the
movie theaters and gorge away like you can with non-paleo junkfood -- but I
still think paleo food can be overeaten.  I'm not saying everyone should
cut their portions down (although many Americans appear as though it
wouldn't hurt them!)  but if one has been on paleo for an extended time and
not reached goal or is losing very slowly, it may be helpful to examine
portions and perhaps timing of meals.  Does anyone really need to eat a
humongous dinner late at night and then just flop into bed? PS:  I am not
advocating low calorie dieting or extreme cuts in food intake, I just think
that a cold hard look at one's portions may reveal some reasons for stalls.