From:
Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:04:10 -0500
on 8/21/04 9:52 AM, Igor Chudov at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have 2 fresh dead squirrels (the 3rd crawled under the shed) --
> don't ask.
>
> Are they edible, is dressing/cooking them a big hassle?

Igor,

If they were in good health, otherwise, before their demise, yes, they are
quite edible. In fact, I'm looking forward to our local squirrel season in
October and the chance to get some fresh squirrels for supper! :)

Dressing squirrels can be a bit of a hassle, but not if you do it right. The
biggest problem is keeping the fine hairs from the fur from contacting the
meat. My dad taught me how to dress squirrels, and I've never seen a better
way to do it than the way he taught me. A quick Google search found this web
page, which gives the instructions better than I could:

http://tnleisurecruises.com/etsha/hunt_prep.htm

My dad taught me one thing not mentioned, there, though. When he cut the
legs loose from the squirrel's body, he did it in such a way that he broke
the bones with the knife blade. If the bone was brittle and snapped when it
broke, it indicated an older squirrel, which would be destined for the stew
pot. If the bone bent slightly before breaking, it indicated a young,
"fryer" squirrel...my dad's favorite. :)

Stan