From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:00:48 +0100
On Aug 17, 2004, at 7:50 pm, Wade Reeser wrote:

> I think it is hard to assign clear evolutionary 'designs' to these
> physiological systems.  There is a lot that still needs to be learned
> about
> all of these responses though we do know much more than we did 10
> years ago.
> I'm not clear if lower T3 values for a lean hunter-gatherer is of any
> consequence but for someone who is changing diets from SAD to a lower
> carbohydrate way of eating (I think this includes paleodiet) and is
> over-fat, lower T3 levels may result in a confounding stall in fat
> loss.

I am pretty lean, despite a slightly sluggish thyroid.  I guess I'm in
a different situation than someone who is overweight.  What is
confusing me now is that carbohydrates are generally accepted as the
cause of weight gain, so it seems ironic that a lack of carbohydrates
can cause a lack of weight loss.  I think Ray Audette posted a link to
an article about other primates increasing their carb consumption to
increase body fat.  It's times like these I wish I did more biology
after I left school.

> Fagin's NHE recommends two high carbohydrate/ low fat evening meals
> twice a
> week and gives arguments why this is 'optimal'.  DiPasquale's
> Metabolic Diet
> recommends a high carbohydrate 'eat anything' period once per week
> lasting
> anywhere from 12 hours to 48+ hours depending on how your individual
> physiology reacts (i.e. are you laying down fat).  Both are interested
> in
> athletic performance so these carbohydrate feeding are used somewhat to
> replenish glycogen stores (I'm not convinced this is all that
> important) but
> perhaps more importantly these brief high carb feeding upregulate T3
> levels
> while preserving the many benefits of a lower carbohydrate eating plan.

When you put it like this, carb-binging does sound like a bit of black
magic.  Paleo people obviously wouldn't have eaten this way.  Do you
know anything about people who have switched to very-low-carb after
losing all their excess weight on this low-carb/high-carb cycle?  Do
they have trouble keeping weight off?  Perhaps what we are seeing is a
subset of people (like me) whose bodies (mainly hormones) have been
affected by years of SAD.

> I have eaten only meat with salad and tea for months at a times with
> great
> results.  I never get tired of steak salads myself (I'm salivating
> now! ;))
> Currently I eat quite a few eggs most days, and a little dairy (cheese,
> yogurt and cream) every few days.  I am not eating raw dairy at the
> moment
> but think I am going to make the effort to find some resources around
> my
> area soon.

I am on a diet of meat, lettuce and eggs- or I was until someone
brought me a bag of home-grown tomatoes.  I'm not overkeen on them
(perhaps my body recognises them as New World), but I don't find them
unpleasant, so I ate the lot.  But apart from that I've been pretty
strict.  Tonight I got a splitting headache, which I'm convinced is a
withdrawl symptom of something I was eating before- the question is
what?  Maybe it was a vegetable I was eating, or maybe a food additive
like wheat flour.

I will keep up my diet for a week or so more and see how my health
improves.  I've got to admit I'm getting used to it already- I had a
whole mackerel just and it was absolutely delicious with just a few
lettuce leaves as dessert.  Tomorrow I'm having egg and prawn salad for
dinner and I've got a piece of Australian beef steak for my tea.  Can't
wait :)

Ashley