From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:50:27 -0700
On Wednesday, Aug 4, 2004, at 04:59 US/Pacific, Eva Hedin wrote:

>> Sure. Wild chickens lay a small clutch of eggs then brood them, like
>> other birds.
>>
> In normal condition I think that a hen needs, or wants a certain
> amount of
> eggs to stop laying new ones. When she has the appropriate amount she
> will
> start brooding them.

My seven adult hens have stopped laying completely since I brought home
four baby hen chicks. One has adopted the chicks, which are now almost
bigger than she is, and one who has been a great layer has turned
broody for the first time in her life, sitting on nothing since no
one's laying. I'm hoping that once the little girls reach maturity that
everyone will become inspired.

They eat grain, but also greens, grass, bugs, worms, and raw meat. Boy,
are we off-topic here!

ginny