From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:14:20 +0100
On Jul 29, 2004, at 1:58 am, Don Wiss wrote:
> While I don't know where in the UK, I do have a web site of pictures to
> help you identity the plants. Right now they are only in foraging tour
> order, but in about a month I hope to have them cross-indexed in plant
> order. Find them at: http://donwiss.com/pictures/#foraging
>
> Don.

Wow this group has gone mad the last few days!  I've almost lost track
of the topics I wanted to reply to.  Thanks for the link Don-
unfortunately I only get web access about once a week so I only get to
see about half the stuff people recommend.

I remember seeing a "could you survive as a hunter-gatherer" page once,
and it's amazing how similar some extremely poisonous plants are to
perfectly harmless ones (presumably evolution on the part of the
harmless ones, like the hoverfly/wasp trick).  The only foods I know
how to find wild in the UK are apples, raspberries, blackberries, and
possibly damsons when they are in season later in the year.  (And
rhubarb from my mum's garden.)

I tried some attractive looking (matt purple) berries in my garden
today, but spat them out because they tasted like grass.  I don't
understand why some fruit is inedible- I always thought the point was
for animals to eat it and spread the seeds.

Ashley