ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:17:39 -0600
Hi, maybe that is the wrong subject line.
I just came up with it quickly.
My friend who does not believe in god brought up something to me the other
day as one of the proofs to her that there was no god.
It was this recent case where the pregnant woman and her 7 year old son was
murdered by smothering by the married man who had gotten the woman pregnant
in the first place.
Evidently they think that the woman was trying to get him to either tell or
leave his wife and his answer was to kill her and then when her son walked
in, he killed him as well.
My friends point, I think, was if there is a god how can things like that go
on?
In answer, I first told her a story about my cousin who was a drug addict
and had a young child and a wife.
His son and wife had been away from the house for some reason and returned
to find my cousin dead with a sack over his head.
It was found that he had hyperventilated.
The assumption was that he had either been trying to quit or did not have
any drugs and had been trying to reach a high by partially hyperventilating
himself and he lost control of it.
Evidently, he had done this before.
My point in telling this story was to show how our irresponsible actions
have affects on not only ourselves but on those around us.
I told my friend that if the woman who had been killed had not made the
choices she had in friends and activities that it was likely that she and
her son and her unborn child would still be alive.
I also said that the man who killed them was responding to a situation he
had helped to create irresponsibly.

Do you think this is the right way to respond to people about such things?
Meaning, my responding to my friend with the above stories and ideas?
I get caught up in, is this judging of others or what?
However, these sorts of things seem plain to me when I sit and think about
them.
It's awful that any of that happened, but it's not hard to see how it did
happen given what we know of the situations.
My cousin was irresponsible and his wife and child had to come home to his
lifeless body and deal with that situation and things which stemmed from it
for the rest ofthere lives.
So did his sister and other family members and friends.
Given what we know about the murdered woman and her killer.  They had made
bad choices which lead them to bring this upon themselves and the innocent
children and now the families and friends are left to deal with it.
None of this is proof to me that god had anything to do with any of it.

Your thoughts please?

Matt