ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:50:25 +0100
That's wonderful Kathy!

--
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Echurch-USA The Electronic Church
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathy Du Bois
Sent: 12 September 2004 21:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: How our church celebrated 9:11 this year

Last night, our church did something very brave, brave for us anyway and
I wanted to share it with you.  As you may recall, I have spoken before
about how far behind our church is in its annual budget.  We are more
than $8,000 behind.  In the past, the ladies would hold, what are
called, "bean dinners," to supplement the income from the weekly
offering in order to make ends meet.  They would charge $6 per meal to
the public. Greg and I had been praying that these meals would stop
because we felt that they were enabling the community to see the church
as a place to obtain a business transaction rather than grace.  God
answered our prayers and the dinners stopped about two years ago, partly
because the people who were mainly involved in putting them on were
getting too old and tired to keep them up.  The idea of giving these
dinners away, for free, was practically un heard of.  Well, last night,
our church took a huge step of faith and, despite our financial woes,
everybody pitched in and we had a free dinner for the public.  We didn't
even allow a freewill offering to be taken.  One lady even donated some
plants to be given away as  door prizes.  Best of all, we invited our
volunteer fire department to come as special guests and nine of them
actually came.  Greg made up little certificates of appreciation for
them and presented them along with a little American flag during the
dinner to thunderous applause. They were overwhelmed and the chief, who
was present, has asked Greg to act as their chaplain.  Most amazing of
all, there was food left over! It was kind of like a re-inactment of the
loaves and fishes.  God is so awesome!  I have never washed so many
dishes in my life and enjoyed it so much! God bless America! Kathy

---