ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Grant E. Metcalf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 20:33:50 -0700
Kathy,  I think that the church should support its pastor and programs to
the extent of its ability.  I also have been involved in "so-called
fundraisers" over the years and really struggle with them since I truly
believe that it is a measure of the spiritual level of the membership as
to whether they give or not.

The past two Sundays I was teaching from Second Corinthians 8 and 9 in my
Sunday school class.  Paul wasn't speaking directly to the issue of
supporting your local, home church, in fact, you might say he was having a
fundraiser, New Testament style. Smile  At least he was presenting a need,
and notice that he wanted the collection taken before he arrived and not
after.  Furthermore, he didn't want anybody to give out of compulsion or
grudgingly.

Chapter 8, verses 1-5, in my opinion really set the tone for giving, or
supporting, Christ-centered ministries.  The financially strapped
Macedonians first gave themselves to the Lord, they were rightly related,
spiritual believers, who gave beyond their ability, at least from Paul's
viewpoint.  Later on, you recall no doubt, the statement, "God loves a
cheerful (literally hilarious) giver".  If people are stingy and unwilling
to give to God's work, then I would say that their level of spirituality
is zero, especially if they are able.  If it takes a bowl of chili
con-carnality to get money out of them, well, think about it.

I have attended several churches in the passed 45 years, some of which
supported their pastor and programs and much more, some of which cried
poor and were in many ways, and currently belong to a church where the
pastor works a day job in order to support he and his wife, who also
works.  He has probably put as much back into the church as it has given
him, but the church has always made an effort to pay his medical insurance
coverage, provide funds for summer retreats, i.e. vacation, plus some
housing allowance.  Furthermore, they have helped pay college tuition for
his children.  Over the last couple of years there has been the necessity
for building repairs and property improvements in the neighborhood of
40-thousand dollars, all of which was and is paid for out of a membership
of about 25 people, many of whom are on fixed income.  I have been amazed
at the ability of this congregation to provide the funds they do since the
San Francisco Bay area is also one of the most expensive places you can
live.

In past years I have put on concerts as a ministry and never asked for
funds, provided record and/or tape albums for a gift, the size of which
was up to the person taking the album, probably gave away more than I ever
sold. In recent years I have also put on a couple of concerts to help
raise money for the Bartimaeus Bible Conference summer camperships.  Again, the
music is a ministry and I try to think of it that way rather than as a
means of acquiring funding.  I would have to say that I cringe when I
think of selling a ministry, god-given, or anyting material to obtain
money.  Of course, I realize that without financial support, certain
spiritual gifts will suffer because the person must spend time providing
for physical needs.

I think I am beginning to ramble here.  Sorry about that.  I would suggest
you read several different translations of Second Corinthians 8 and 9,
say, New American Standard, Kenneth Wuest, et cetera.  This might also
give some different perspectives.  Also, you can find J. Vernon McGee's
commentary and A.C. Gaebelein's commentary on Second Corinthians on the
Bartimaeus Website, along with the Wuest Translation of Second
Corinthians.  These are in braille format, however, and if you want or
need them otherwise, contact me privately.

Listening for His shout, First Thessalonians 4:16

Grant E. Metcalf
Bartimaeus Alliance of the Blind, Inc.
PO Box 572
South San Francisco,