ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 21:31:50 -0500
Actually God did allow a large fund raiser when the Children of Israel were
exiting Egypt. The Egyptians made a large contribution of gold and other
things of value. David had his own fund raising when he plundered a tribe
in which he was instructed to overtake? Although I don't think these kind
of fund raisers would be looked upon too highly and we are missing that
element of God's directive to wipe out a certain people lol. Jesus had his
own fund raiser, or perhaps bread and fish raiser, but we are lacking
abilities to perform miracles so that one is out too. I guess I may be a
minority when saying I am not sure God would look at a fund raiser as an
illegitimate way of provision, as long as it serves a purpose and is of a
value to those purchasing a item or service, and serves God alike. I wonder
if Paul's tent making was viewed as a living, or a fund raiser for his
ministry? Paul made mention that few churches made provision for his work,
and he did not wish to be a burden upon the people so he did his best to
make his own way. Paul certainly did not make tents because he liked it. He
was an educated man, a white collar person of today's standards I would
think, and built tents to supply his ministry and living.  Jesus also spoke
a parable about the wedding a party and the invited guests refused to come
for one excuse or another, and so instruction came forth to invite
those  out on the highways and biways and who were not guests of the
wedding party. Perhaps by holding these fund raisers it serves a means of
provision and means of reaching others not necessary reached. I don't see
them as begging, again if a service and value is evident. In a lack of
church body not providing for that house of worship, ought it dry up and
blow away? Certainly God's will and directive is to rule, but I'd think by
default it ought be kept going and supplied in what ways he has provided,
if it be a check in the mailbox from an answered prayer, or an idea of
which to involve the congregation to help earn the money.

Brad