ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:27:44 -0500
Having grieved over the sins in my own life, and having grieved over
children and grandchildren who have not lived in obedience to God, this
article really hit me this morning.  I pray you too will hear the voice of
God's Spirit in its message.
In His Love,
Helen

The Holy Spirit: He Can Be Grieved

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for
the day of redemption.
--Ephesians 4:30

Because He is loving and kind and friendly, the Holy Spirit may be
grieved.... He can be grieved because He is loving, and there must be
love present before there can be grief.

Suppose you had a 17-year-old son who began to go bad. He rejected
your counsel and wanted to take things into his own hands. Suppose
that he joined up with a young stranger from another part of the
city and they got into trouble.

You were called down to the police station. Your boy--and another
boy who you had never seen--sat there in handcuffs.

You know how you would feel about it. You would be sorry for the
other boy--but you don't love him because you don't know him. With
your own son, your grief would penetrate to your heart like a sword.
Only love can grieve. If those two boys were sent off to prison, you
might pity the boy you didn't know, but you would grieve over the
boy you knew and loved. A mother can grieve because she loves. If
you don't love, you can't grieve.  The Counselor, 51-52.

"Lord, I think I take Your love for granted and consequently forget
how grieved You are when I sin. Overwhelm me today with Your love, so
that I might be more careful to not grieve You. Amen."
-