From:
Walt Sebastian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:30:28 -0400
Hi Bob,
I doubt if I will be of much help but maybe a little.  I am not familiar
with any dealers in your area.  You can try Ham Radio Outlet AKA HRO.  They
have an 800 number and is my choice.  There are other dealers.  PL is
actually a Motorola term.  To them, it stands for private line.  In the ham
committee, it is also known as CTCSS, and there are a number of frequencies
starting with 67.0 and going up into the 250 range.  There are something
like 40 choices.  The radio I have is the Kenwood TS2000.  It isn't like
anything you ever seen or handled.  It covers 160, 80, 40, 30, 20 18, 15,
12, 10, 6 2 and 70 CM.  It runs 100 watts on all bands.  It has USB, LSB,
AM, FM, CW, Packet, RTTY and satellite.  It has a built-in keyer and TNC for
VHF and UHF.  The power can be selected from 5 to 100 watts.  Only 25 on AM.
I couldn't get it hooked up until the day after I got it.  I sat it on the
shelf and attempted to count the buttons.  I tried several times that
evening.  I gave up and went to bed.  The next morning, I had no trouble.
That isn't even a thumbnail sketch of the rig.  I hope this helps and 73.

Walt
WA4QXT
New London CT