Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:54:51 -0500
Steve, I've played guitar for about 36 years.  There is no system out there for
learning fretting for chords.  All the charts used by sighted folks are pretty
much useless for blind folks.  The state library system has a few books
available for beginning guitar players but I've found the best way to learn
chords for me is knowing the notes of the strings (ebgdae) and figuring out
where notes are located from there.  This requires a little music theory so may
not work for you.  If you're looking for specific chords drop me a note and I'd
be glad to help.  Remember that there are no absolutely correct fingerings but
some will make chord changes easier than others and you will want to use one
fingering for a specific chord in some situations and another in others.

The guitar is what my students call "good fun" once you've got the chords and
can work on learning right hand techniques without having to think about where
your left fingrs go so often.  With restringing your guitar could be a right
handed guitar if you want to play backward -- well probably more correctly its
called a left handed because its what left handed folks play <g>.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html