Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:42:28 -0600
The Handi-Ham materials are also available on cd in mp3 format.  In as far as
scanning goes, with todays scanners pretty much anyone can scan materials.  That
seems to be a created rather than a real issue as it appears what you're wanting
is free access to the material.  Why not just buy the book and scan it.  In
point of fact, the only thing currently not accessible is the figures and those
need not be an issue as they are not required for the FCC exams.  For me, thr
real issue and the reason that I have stopped doing copy work for Handi-Hams is
that the questions for the exams as read in their current book copies contain
the question and correct answer only.  That does not constitute a study aid: it
constitutes a list of questions with correct answers so why bother with the rest
of the book.  When I studied for my exams I did not even use the question
answers to study but back then Handi-Hams was recording the questions and their
choices.  I have been told by folks at Handi-Hams that the reason for this
childish question/answer format is that people found having all the choices too
difficult.  I don't believe the tests are given without the choices and if
looking at all question choices if you just have to use the questions is too
much for you to handle you probably can't handle the responsibilities of being
on the air.  I do like the idea of computer useable materials but because I do
not like being tied to the computer I found the tape and cd format far more
useful for study purposes as I could use that material no matter where I was so
long as I had playback equipment.  I would not attempt to deal with braille for
the same reason that I do not attempt to carry a Bible to church <g>.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html